Fragments Revisited


Reflections Toward a Theory of Consciousness

Preface

Every worldview begins as fragments.

Some are inherited.
Some are discovered.
Some are abandoned.
Some return years later wearing different names.

These pages are neither theology nor science. They are an attempt to think honestly about consciousness, time, identity, memory, and the possibility that humanity has been describing one mystery through many languages.

If these fragments point anywhere, they point toward wonder.

Acknowledgments

This work was inspired in part by the writings of Dr. Sam Vaknin, whose poetry and explorations of time asymmetry, consciousness, identity, and psychology challenged me to ask deeper questions.

The poem “The New Gods” is a philosophical response to Dr. Vaknin’s “The Old Gods.” The reflections that follow are entirely my own and represent an evolving personal theory of consciousness. They are offered not as conclusions, but as fragments gathered in pursuit of understanding.


The New Gods

A philosophical response inspired by Dr. Sam Vaknin’s “The Old Gods.”

The old gods

guarded the gates

The new gods

forgot

they were carrying

the keys

So they wandered

until remembering

there had never

been

a lock.






Fragments

Toward a Theory of Consciousness

This is not a declaration of certainty.

It is a map I am drawing while walking.

I believe consciousness did not begin with birth, nor does it end with death. I believe the human body is a vessel through which a deeper identity experiences life within space and time.

The vessel remembers a lifetime.

The soul remembers an existence.

I suspect that what we call “self” is experienced through layers. The brain gives us autobiographical memory, personality, language, and perception. The soul provides continuity, identity, and awareness beyond what the brain alone can explain. The two are intimately connected during life, but they are not identical.

Time may be a property of the vessel rather than of consciousness itself.

If consciousness exists beyond spacetime, then past, present, and future may not be separate from its perspective. What I experience sequentially as Jennifer may already exist as a complete life from a timeless point of view. My awareness, however, unfolds one moment at a time because that unfolding allows something essential:

                       Choice

Choice creates relationship.

Relationship creates meaning.

Meaning creates wisdom.

I believe wisdom cannot always be given. Some forms of understanding must be lived.

For this reason, I see earthly life not as a punishment nor merely as a test, but as an opportunity for conscious participation in reality.

I believe every soul possesses a unique identity and purpose. These purposes need not be identical. One soul may be drawn toward healing. Another toward protecting. Another toward creating. Diversity is not a flaw in creation but one of its greatest expressions.

I suspect reincarnation is one way consciousness continues its development. If so, souls may mature through many lifetimes. Though not becoming more valuable than one another, but becoming more experienced in love, wisdom, compassion, and understanding.

Death, then, is not the destruction of consciousness.

It is the removal of limitation.

I imagine that when the vessel is laid down, awareness expands. Questions carried throughout life may be understood from a perspective impossible while embodied. What I call “remembering” is not learning something entirely new, but recovering an awareness that was temporarily veiled.

I do not believe any one religion contains the whole of reality.

Instead, I wonder whether humanity has been describing the same mystery through different languages, cultures, symbols, and stories. Each tradition may preserve genuine insight while remaining incomplete.

Science explores the mechanisms of reality.

Spirituality explores its meaning.

Philosophy asks whether the two are ultimately describing different aspects of the same truth.

This theory remains unfinished.

It is meant to evolve.

Like consciousness itself, it grows through curiosity, humility, experience, and the willingness to question what I think I know.

The measure of a soul is not what it believed, but what it chose to become while it walked through time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riverwalk revisited

Columbia summer 2025